Moving Out into the Fields

Jesus said a lot about sowing the seed of the Gospel into the soil of peoples' hearts. He told us to pray for God to send workers into the harvest. It is evident from the life of Jesus that He believed in going where the people are, instead of waiting for them to come to Him. Ever since we finished the construction of our new Worship Center the Lord has been impressing on my heart the same thing. I have tried to be obedient, and so far it has been a great blessing. Since the first of the year it has been my goal to knock on 50 doors a week in an effort to meet people, pray for them, and witness to them. I have met that goal, and it has been very rewarding. I know God will bless my obedience.

After knocking on 100 doors, I have only had one person refuse to take my card. Some people have not come to the door, but I have been surprised at the number of people who are at home, and who will gladly talk with me. They are genuinely touched when I offer to pray for them. In fact, most of them are very glad I have come to their door. Even though I have not led anyone to the Lord yet, I am confident that I am on the right track for me. God told me that the more I encounter people the more comfortable I will be, and the better I will be able to engage them in a meaningful conversation about Him. I know that is definitely true.

Today, I had four very good conversations. I even met an old friend, who looked at me and said, "I know you." I had to get them to refresh my memory, but it did not take long to reorient myself. What a pleasant surprise. I wonder how many hungry people we could find if each of us would spend two hours a week reaching out to those around us. I am not saying it has to be door to door for everyone, but it is the obedience that counts. Whatever Jesus tells you to do, do it.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 36-38 and Matthew 10:21-42.

Popular Posts