Diligence in My Relationship with Christ

A long time ago when I was going to Baylor and to seminary the Lord showed me that I should be diligent about my relationship with Christ. At some point I became aware of the truths of II Peter 1:5-10, and those truths explained a lot to me. I had not been a pastor very long, but I had met Christians who should have been mature in their faith and their practice, but they were anything but mature. In fact, they did not know God's will, and they did not want to do God's will. It was very disturbing to me, until I realized they were suffering from the lack of diligence mentioned in II Peter 1, so that they were spiritually blind.

How many spiritually blind Christians do you know? How many shortsighted Christians do you know? It is the result of not being diligent to grow in Christ. That is what God's Word tells us. How tragic it is to think of a believer who is out of touch with Jesus so much that he or she can't understand the simplest spiritual realities! I am afraid that it has been my experience that most believers are in that category. How many times have you heard another Christian say that he or she has a hard time having a daily unhurried time with the Lord? That is a lack of diligence. How many times have you heard the confession that they know they are not doing what they should do? That is a lack of diligence, and we see the effects all around us. The only solution is to be diligent in our relationship with Christ, no matter what it takes. Is anything more important than that?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 29-30 and Matthew 9:1-17.

Popular Posts