Receiving Instruction and Correction

As many of you know, I have begun reading through Proverbs as I read through the Bible this year. This time in my reading I am noticing how many verses talk about receiving instruction, correction, or even rebuke from another person. In every case it points out that a wise person will not only receive the instruction but have a good attitude as he or she hears what the other person has to say.

I know this is a challenge for all of us. However, I have always tried to tell myself that it is very important for me to listen to those who wish to give me feedback or insight into my actions or attitudes. In fact, I have often sought that kind of counsel from others. I know in my heart it is the only way to become more like Christ. I can't really be fully objective about myself, so I need others to tell me what they see in me. Then, I can ask the Holy Spirit to change me into the likeness of Christ in that area, and I can discipline myself to do what He tells me. That is my heart. I hope it is your heart, too.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 16-18 and II Corinthians 6.

Popular Posts