Forgiving Each Other

In the past 32 years of being a pastor of five different churches, I have been hurt by many people in various ways. It is so tempting to try to get back at those people who have hurt me, but the Holy Spirit showed me very early in my ministry that He was opposed to revenge of any kind. It is impossible to get back at someone without sinning in the same way the other person has sinned. Therefore, I have done my best to forgive each one of them and to make sure they knew I had forgiven them, no matter what they did to me. I believe I am being totally truthful when I say that I am not harboring any unforgiveness against anyone now, and it is my goal to never allow unforgiveness in my life. (Ephesians 4:32)

However, one of the temptations that occurs when I am hurt is to ignore the person or to try not to interact with that person. Over the years many people have left my churches because they were upset with me. They did not forgive me or seek reconciliation. They just left. That is just as bad as me ignoring someone who has hurt me. God wants us as believers to love each other, and to be kind, longsuffering, and forgiving to each other. He doesn't want us to have a division between us and any other believer. (That is one reason it is so bad when a Christian married couple can't be reconciled.) Therefore, I have learned never to ignore someone who has hurt me, either. I want to love and forgive everyone as Christ loves me and has forgiven me. What a better world we would have if we would obey Jesus in this way!

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 89-90 and Romans 14.

Popular Posts