The Approval Trap

One of the traps that people can fall into is the approval trap. We can let ourselves be controlled by what other people think of us and whether they approve of us or not. I found out about 30 years ago that I had to escape from that trap or it would destroy me. I read about it in the book, Search For Significance by Robert McGee. He brought the Bible to light for me when it comes to who I must try to please. As a pastor and as a Christian, I must make it my priority to please Jesus, first and foremost. Then, if what I say or do pleases other people that is just fine. However, if I let the approval of others control me, then, I am not under the control of the Lord Jesus. That is a terrible situation.

Think about your life. How often can you please everyone or agree with everyone? It is not very often is it? Therefore, if you seek to base your life on approval you will modify your beliefs or actions every time just to please someone besides the Lord. Now, how often can you please Jesus? I believe we can please Him every time, because He does not ask us to do anything that He does not provide the insight and the strength to accomplish. Therefore, I must strive to be approved by Jesus, not people.

Don't get me wrong, I love to be loved and accepted. However, I long to be loved by Jesus more than anyone else in the world. I hope we can all learn this lesson and stand up for Him completely.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 81-83 and Romans 11:19-36.

Popular Posts