Working Out

I have always enjoyed sweating. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. I grew up playing baseball in Decatur, Georgia before air conditioning. I know that really is unbelievable, but our house did not have air conditioning until I was in High School. Even then, it was a window unit above the kitchen sink, so that it would cool the hot kitchen after mom cooked supper, and it also, cooled the den, but not the bed rooms. Therefore, I was used to the heat. I liked it. I wore long blue jeans, and I rode my bicycle everywhere I went almost until I could drive. All of those things are reasons why I love to work out today.

I used to run, but it was really starting to make my joints ache, so I switched to the health rider machine and the bicycle. Now, I can use a new machine that my daughter bought. It is great. It is low impact, but it is very strenuous. It gives my heart a workout, as well as my legs and arms. When I get done working out, I feel so energized even though my muscles are tired.

I think I really love working out, because I love to push myself. I love to see just how much the body God designed can do. I am always amazed by what happens when I try it out. I am truly fearfully and wonderfully made. God did such a fantastic job designing the human body. I was able to work out at a pretty high level for 35 minutes this afternoon, and I praise God for that. He is my strength. Without Him I could do nothing, not even work out.

Now, why am I talking about working out when I told you months ago that I wanted to pursue godliness more than physical exercise? I believe the principle is the same. I will never achieve a high level of godliness without spiritual sweating and effort. It will take just as much determination as giving it my all on that machine for 35 minutes. In fact, it takes much more of the same type of effort, because it is 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Remember, we can't earn salvation. It is by grace, but it does not exclude effort, and in fact, it takes a lot of determination and effort to follow Jesus. I must say no to self and the flesh just like I do when I would rather sit in my chair than work out. I have to exercise what I know He wants me to do. Do you see what I mean? Let's pursue the same mindset, so we can push ourselves to be more like Jesus all of the time. Only the Spirit can mold us to be like Jesus, but we have to cooperate by practicing what we know. That is tough, but it is worth it. God has a special blessing for those who pursue Him with all of their hearts.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 20-22 and Acts 21:1-17.

Popular Posts