My Story

I don't remember if I have ever written my salvation testimony in this blog or not, but it is relevant to what I have been saying about Biblical Christianity, so I am going to share it briefly. I believe it is important for all of us as believers to tell our story as often as possible for the glory of God.

I know that I started thinking about my need to accept Jesus when I was about 6 or 7 years old since my parents took me to church regularly. When I was in Mr. Leroy Johns' Sunday School class at about age 8, he would ask us about accepting Christ. My heart was touched, and I knew I needed to give my life to Jesus. I used to sit in bed at night and tell the Lord that I did not want to go to Hell. He would assure me that if I would accept Christ as my Lord and Savior, I would have eternal life. However, I did not accept Christ at that point. I would hear Rev. Arwood preach, and I would know that Jesus was drawing me to go forward and profess my faith in Him, but I would be too scared of what other people would think, and I was too shy. I would go home and try to pray on my own, but God told me that it did not work that way. I knew it was important for me to make my profession publicly.

In Vacation Bible School when I was 9 years old I went forward in the invitation given by the preacher, but when I got up there, he told us to come forward in the regular service on Sunday, if we were really serious about following Christ. I did not do that for 5 more years. Finally, on Palm Sunday of 1970, I heard the Lord speaking to my heart one more time in the worship service. I told the Lord Jesus that I wanted Him to be my Savior and Lord, and I did not care what anyone thought. I stepped out from my seat and went to the front to let everyone know. It was at that point Jesus saved me. I did pray a prayer once I spoke to the pastor, but Jesus knew my heart when I stepped out. I knew that my sins had been forgiven, and Jesus had come into my life, because I had asked Him to be my Lord, and I had confessed Him before other people.

From the beginning it was never about joining a church. It was never just about having my sins forgiven. It was always about responding to the Lord of the universe, who died on the cross for me. It was about giving Him my life, since He gave His life for me. I had some struggles at first when I would sin, because I thought that meant I was not saved. However, it was not long before He gave me the assurance of my salvation by grace through faith. Then, at age 17 He called me to preach. It has been a wonderful relationship with Him ever since. I have failed to obey Him, but He has never failed me. He has helped me to grow to become more like Him with each year that has passed. I pray that you have had a time when you came to know Christ as your Lord and Savior by responding to His call and putting your trust in Him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Job 32-33 and Acts 14.

Popular Posts