Learning a Second Language

I have always loved to study languages. I took 4 years of Latin in High School. I was a Greek major at Baylor, and I took more Greek in seminary. I took a year of German at Baylor and a year of Hebrew at Seminary. I have studied Spanish on my own with books and CD's. I enjoy the grammar and the word studies. I guess I am just weird. However, with all of my study I am still in awe of someone who learns to speak a second language with proficiency, especially for the purpose of sharing the Good News of Jesus with another culture. In some ways I wish God had called me to do that, but I know He did not call me into that cross cultural ministry. Therefore, I have tried to concentrate on what God has for me. That fact, does not lessen my admiration for those who are called to that type of ministry.

For the next two days Lori and Jeff, my daughter and son-in-law, will be taking their level 4 evaluations for the Japanese language. They covet our prayers. It is not just an academic exercise. Even in their evaluations, they are hoping to present a very positive witness to their non-Christian teachers. God has called them to love the Japanese people, and to share Christ's love with them. The only way to do that effectively is to learn their heart language, so that is what they have been doing for the past 3 years. After one more year, they should be to the point where they can communicate most of the concepts needed to share the Gospel and make disciples. That is their goal. Please, pray for them. Japanese is very difficult to master.

Also, we learned recently that Doug and Dana Roberts passed their Spanish evaluations for being appointed career missionaries to the Dominican Republic. It has been a joy to see them called from our church to accomplish God's will for their lives. They had 9 months of training in Costa Rica at a very good school, and then, they were thrown into the cross cultural experience. They have continued to learn and to grow. They have taught God's Word in Spanish and led people to the Lord in Spanish. Glory be to the Lord! Please, continue to pray for Doug, Dana, and the boys as they return to the US in June to pursue being appointed as career missionaries by the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.

May both of these families be used by God in a magnificent way, as they share the wonderful works of God in their new tongue.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 28-29 and John 9:24-41.

Popular Posts