What Makes Us Happy?

Wednesday evening when it snowed in Atlanta, I noticed something interesting. Almost everyone had a great big smile on his or her face, especially the children and youth. Yes, there was some concern expressed about driving on slippery roads and climbing icy stairs, but the overall attitude was joyful. Children were running around in the snow even though they did not have proper clothing. Teenagers were beaming and talking about not having to go to school on Thursday. One senior adult told me that it made him feel 10 years old again. The Lord drew my attention to this happiness and giddiness. I thought to myself that the effect of a little snow was amazing. Why does snow have that effect?

It made me think about what other things make me happy and joyful. I would encourage all of us to reflect on the cause of our happiness. Is it tied to what makes God happy? Is it tied to the spiritual at all? Do they have snow in heaven? What causes happiness and joy in heaven? I think most of us know the answer to that. When one lost sheep is found and one lost soul is saved, there is joy in heaven. Is that a great joy for us? Do we anticipate seeing people saved like we anticipate snow? I think there is a lot to be gained from taking some time to think about what makes us happy and why. If it snows again tonight and tomorrow, see what happens around you and listen to the Lord. I believe it will bless your heart.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 46-48 and Matthew 13:1-30.

Popular Posts