Selfishness is not a Good Sign

Selfishness is one of the most subtle sins and one of the easiest ways to get away from God. I constantly have to remind myself that the flesh is selfish, the Holy Spirit is not. The flesh will lead me to do my own will. The Spirit will lead me to do God's will. Whenever I listen to the flesh, I will miss God's will. Therefore, I must constantly ask the Spirit to control me and yield to His direction.

Many times we think happiness comes from doing what we want to do. We think stress would be relieved, if we did not have to do anything except what we wanted to do, when we wanted to do it. I have come to find out that is not true. The most stress free life is the life that does what God wants, not what we want. I say this because I believe this emphasis on stress reduction leads us to selfishness. We think we are doing the right thing by doing what we want.

I am convinced we find fulfillment and peace when we quit trying to make ourselves happy, and we look to the Lord. After all, He is Lord. He knows best, and He loves us the most. What could be less stressful than just doing what He says in His power and provision. This will only work when we free ourselves from selfishness. It truly becomes "not my will, but Thy will, Lord." That is my goal each day. I do not want time for myself, unless that is what God wants for me. I want my pleasure to come from accomplishing His will. That is the greatest pleasure and satisfaction. Remember, Psalm 37:4. If we can just delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of out hearts, because then, His will is what we want. Do you want His will today or your own will?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 39-40 and Matthew 11.

Popular Posts