Physical Exercise

I have been having an on-going conversation with God for the past several weeks about exercise. It is so hard to get good aerobic exercise in the winter. The days are so short, and the air is cold. I like running, but it is dangerous to run in the dark, and it is not as fun to run in a lot of clothes. Therefore, I have been having a hard time finding time to run and a hard time getting motivated.

I Timothy 4:8 kept coming to my mind. I don't think it was the Devil bringing it up, but it could have been, I guess. You know the verse. It says, "Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things." I was talking with God and asking Him to show me what to do about the exercise. I was really searching to know if I should just apply myself to godliness and forget the exercise. If it is just of a little value, how much is a little?

Finally, today I went ahead and ran my 3 miles. It was very good. It made me feel better. It cleared out my sinuses, and I could tell that I should not have neglected it. However, I did hear the Lord tell me one thing very clearly. If I have to choose between exercise and godliness, which I do have to do some days, because of a full schedule, I must choose godliness. There is no doubt that godliness far surpasses exercise in importance. Therefore, I am going back to running, but if I have to skip a day or two for godliness, it will be alright.

I want to have a full and healthy life on earth, but the main thing is eternity. Godliness is profitable for now and eternity. I really appreciate the Lord helping me to keep my priorities straight.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 16-18 and Matthew 18:1-20.

Popular Posts