Weeping Over Sin

 What makes you cry? I know for me there are several things that make me cry. Sometimes, I cry out of pure joy when something happens that is very wonderful. However, mostly I cry over things that touch my heart, things that make me sad. So, my second question is what kinds of things make you sad? Of course, we are sad when we lose loved ones. We cry in grief, and we cry when loved ones are suffering in a way that we can't help them. I wonder how many of us are sad and weep because of the sins that we see around us?

God showed Ezekiel what he was planning to do when the time came for Him to punish the people of Jerusalem for all of their sins. He chose six men who were given the responsibility to kill the sinful people, and He chose one man to mark the ones who would be spared. (Ezekiel 9:4) "He said to him, "Walk through the streets of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of all who weep and sigh because of the detestable sins being committed in their city." I wonder how many of us would receive the mark today if God did the same thing in our city?

It seems to me that we have at least three choice when we see sin around us. We can ignore it and be apathetic about it. I think this happens when we just get numb to all of the sins around us in society or even in the churches. We can get fired up about the sins and speak out, but we do it in a judgmental way. That doesn't help us or the sinners. Then, we can be sad because of the sins and weep over them. We can have the heart of God who weeps over us and our sins, so that we pray for our city and the people who are doing wrong to get right.

When we weep over sin it shows that we understand the destruction and death that it brings physically and spiritually. There are so many people losing their lives, their families, and their jobs because of sin. Our hearts should break when we see these things. At the same time we should rejoice over the righteousness we see people doing. It should give us a thrill to see people saved and being sanctified. I believe the more sincere our weeping over sin the greater will be our rejoicing over righteousness.

#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 10-12.

Popular Posts