Marveling at God's Goodness to Us

Do you ever stop to think about how good God has been to you and your family? I believe that is something we all need to do regularly. Even in the midst of our very busy lives, we should carve out time to look at where we are in life now and to look back at how far God has brought us to get there. It is only then that we really appreciate the great and consistent faithfulness of God in our life. David took time to do this when God told him that He would make his name great and ensure a descendant of David sat on the throne of Israel as long as they were faithful to Him. David was humbled by this blessing, so he went in before God and prayed, asking God, "Who am I that You have brought me to this place?" (I Chronicles 17:16) We should all humbly ask God the same question.

Each year when I read this verse on my journey through the Bible, I am deeply touched. I think about my unworthiness in so many areas, but yet God saved me when I was 14 and called me to preach when I was 17. I remember how He sustained me and my family through the years at Baylor and Southwestern Seminary, while being a youth and music director and then a pastor. Who was I for God to bless me that way? I think of the blessing of God giving me Chris, the perfect wife for me, and our three children, who have been a blessing to us and to others. I reflect on God's provision for all we have needed over these years and the joy He has given us through it all. How could I or anyone deserve all of these blessings? We can't and we don't, but God is good. He is faithful, and He deserves all of the praise and honor for His goodness to us. Please, take time to consider David's question and see all of the things that come to your mind. It will be a blessing, I know. In fact, it is the perfect exercise to do as we are at home during this pandemic, so we won't focus on the bad things, but on the good things of life.
#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 18-21.

Popular Posts