Ten Percent Belongs to the Lord

The Bible is very clear that ten percent of our income belongs to the Lord. (Leviticus 27:30) I know this is a sore subject to bring up with many people. I am not trying to make people mad. I am not trying to increase the offerings of the church, either. I want to make a much more important point than that. If ten percent or the tithe belongs to the Lord, then, when we keep it for ourselves, we are stealing from God. Is that a good thing to do? Is that a good way to please the Lord? I don't think so, do you?

I think there is a good reason that God declared that ten percent of our income belongs to Him. He wants to test us to see if we will trust Him to bless us and to meet our needs. If we say we have faith in the Lord, but we do not trust Him in our giving, do we really trust Him? It is a very tangible way for the Lord to gauge our faith in Him. Also, it is an excellent way for God to provide for the needs of His kingdom on this earth. It is very fair. Each person or family gives the same percentage, so it has the same effect on their financial income, whether they earn a little or a lot. Then, if all believers are faithful to return this holy amount to the Lord, there is more than enough to share the Good News of salvation with all the people groups of this world. Then, when God sees our faithfulness in giving He promises to pour out a huge blessing. (Malachi 3:8-11) I have seen this over the years, and I pray that each of us will know His favor because we return the holy tithe to the Lord, since it belongs to Him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 2-4.

 

Popular Posts