A Notable Prayer

I have read through I Chronicles many times now. It begins with a seemingly endless stream of genealogies with names that are hard to pronounce. Some of the people are famous, but there is only a mention of their name, nothing else. Others have short comments about them or their families, but  most are very unremarkable. However, there is one main exception. I think that is why I end up writing about Jabez and his prayer almost every year. (I Chronicles 4:10) His prayer must be very special to be included in his record when most of the others have nothing said about them.

The Bible tells us in verse 9 that he was "more honorable" than his brothers, but it doesn't tell us why. Then, his simple, but profound prayer is recorded. It seems he wanted to be blessed and his borders enlarged. He was not content with the status quo, but Jabez asked the Lord to help him grow. God likes that kind of prayer. Then, he asked for God's hand to be on him. He knew that he needed God's power for whatever might happen. God likes for us to pray like that, too. It shows humility. Finally, Jabez asked to be kept from harm that would bring him pain. I am not sure what type of harm and pain exactly, but it sounds like personal pain that would cause inward heart kind of pain. Whatever he was referring to, God granted it, because He granted what he asked. That is amazing to me. God heard a simple prayer, answered it, and had it recorded for us. What do you suppose God is trying to say to us? I think we ought to contemplate that, so we can have our prayers answered, as well.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 5-7.

Popular Posts