Sincere Compliments

When was the last time you gave your spouse a sincere compliment? It makes a huge impact on him or her. The Song of Solomon is full of them, and they pertain to our marriage relationship. (Song of Solomon 4:7) Let's just consider one of them.

Solomon told his wife that she was "altogether beautiful." I do not think he was exaggerating, but I do not think she was perfectly beautiful either. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and to him she was completely beautiful. I pray that is how we all see our wives, and that we tell them often.

He also called her "my darling." I believe it is a sincere compliment to have a special name we call our wife when we show how dear she is to us. It does not have to be too mushy, but it needs to be sincerely meaningful to her when she hears it.

Finally, he told her she had no blemish. Again, I am sure that was only in his eyes, but since all women see every blemish they have, it makes a great point. He was letting her know that his love made him blind to the blemishes, so they made no impression on him. He saw that she was just the one the Lord had made for him. That was a very sincere compliment based on the reality of God's will.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Song of Solomon 5-7.

Popular Posts