And Lot Went With Him

I know this is a little strange this morning, but I have been studying Lot lately, so this verse struck me as important. Lot was in the middle of God making His covenant with Abram. He was there to hear Abram explain what God had told Him about making him a great nation and giving him a land of his own for him and his descendants. When Abram obeyed God and departed for this new land, Lot went with him.(Genesis 12:4) Why was Lot there? Why was this important? I think there are several things to consider.

Terah was Lot's grandfather. He was the one who gathered up the family to depart from Ur in the first place after God had spoken to Abram. Maybe he led out because he was Abram's father, I am not sure. When they left out, he took Lot, because Lot's father Haran had died. Terah took him under his wing to raise him. It seems that grandparents get to do this pretty often even today. They only got as far as Syria when they stopped. The town was named Haran. I don't know if they named it after Lot's dad, or if that was already the name, but I find that interesting. They stayed there until Terah died for some unknown reason. Then, Abram left to go to Canaan, and Lot went with him.

Why did Lot go with Abram? Was it out of faith in God and wanting to be a part of what God was doing through his uncle? Was it because he did not know anything else to do? Did he like living with his rich uncle? I am not sure, but he went. He had the opportunity to really know the Lord and grow in Him like Abram did, but that did not happen. Why not? Well, that is my message for our worship service tomorrow, so we won't get into that here. However, Lot had every opportunity to have a great life, but he missed it. He had a grandfather who knew the Lord and who loved him. He had an uncle who knew the Lord and took care of him. He was right there for some of the greatest revelations of God in all of history. He went with them, but he missed out.

What about you? Did you have a Christian family who cared for you? Did you go with them to church? Did they tell you about how God had spoken to them and what God was doing in the world? Did you just go with them, or did it make a difference in your life? If it didn't, why not? When I get to Heaven and stand before the Lord to give an account of my life, I do not want to have to say, "I went with him." I want to be able to say that I heard from the Lord through him and I was a part of what God was doing. What about you?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 15-17.

Popular Posts