Greatness

We read a lot about greatness today in all areas of life. Someone is called the greatest singer or the greatest football player. That is all well and good, but it does not come close to being the greatest in God's kingdom. Wouldn't it be better for us to strive for greatness in God's eyes first, instead of putting our emphasis in these other areas that don't mean as much? I think so. Jesus told us what we must do to be the greatest in God's kingdom.(Matthew 18:4) It is not very complicated, but it is difficult.

We must humble ourselves as little children to be greatest with God. Humility is difficult because of our proud hearts, but the humility of a child is an extreme challenge. Children know they are powerless. They know they can't do certain things themselves. They are not tall enough, fast enough or smart enough to accomplish some very simple things. So what do they do? They come to an adult and ask for help. I can just see my grandchildren holding up their arms, so I can pick them up and carry them. I can hear the multitude of questions they ask. I can remember times that they asked me to reach something for them. It is a humble dependence on others who love them.

Isn't that a wonderful picture of how we should be before God? We must not be proud and independent. We must humbly admit our need, reach out to Him, ask those questions, and seek His help with everything. Then, we are the greatest in His kingdom.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Matthew 19-21.

Popular Posts