A Father's Influence

As I have read through I and II Kings this year, it has been more obvious than ever that the son of each king followed in his father's footsteps most of the time.(II Kings 15:34) Sons look up to their fathers, and they learn a lot from them. Therefore, it is essential for fathers to practice righteousness before their sons and the rest of the families.

I heard a story once that was supposed to be true, but I am not sure if it was or not. Supposedly, one year a chaplain in a prison decided to offer Mothers' Day cards to the men to send to their mothers. It was a huge hit, more than he expected. Therefore, when Fathers' Day drew near, he did the same thing with Fathers' Day cards. Hardly any of the men wanted to send a card to their fathers, though. What does that tell us? The men in prison did not have a good relationship with their fathers, and they suffered because of it. I would imagine they had failed to be a loving, righteous example to them as well.

Let's make sure we lead our sons and daughters well. It makes a distinct difference in the future of their lives.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Kings 16-18.

Popular Posts