Just Preacher Talk

I did another funeral service this afternoon. It is always a challenge to make the service personal, comforting, and challenging, all at the same time. I pray that the Lord enabled us to do that today.

I dislike a funeral service in which the preacher doesn't give personal information about the deceased. I know we don't know the person every time, but that is no excuse. There is always the chance to talk with the family, so that details can be shared, as well as stories about their loved ones.

The service is about comfort. Funerals are sad. We miss the one who has died. We need the comfort of the Lord. That comes through the Spirit and the Word of God. I am so thankful for the Lord's guidance to the right Scripture passages that apply to that specific family and situation. The Word of God is alive and powerful!

Finally, I always share the gospel and challenge people to make sure they are ready for eternity. I try to be clear and direct, without being harsh. I know that many of the people in the audience do not go to church, or at least, they haven't been in a long time. I believe it would be a sin for me to speak at a funeral without sharing the plan of salvation and urging people to respond.

The Bible teaches that every person will stand before the Lord in a time of judgment after they die. This judgment is not about salvation. When we die, we have either trusted Christ as Lord, or we haven't. That part is sealed. The judgment will deal with the chances we have to do the right things in life and why we did not do them or we did them. I wonder how many unbelievers will say something like this when they stand before the Lord, "Yes, Lord, I heard the preacher share the gospel at those funerals, but I thought it was just "preacher talk."

Tomorrow, I intend to read Galatians 4-6.

Popular Posts