Forgiving and Being Forgiven

My verse for today is about forgiveness, so I have been thinking about it all day.(Mark 11:25,26) This verse spoke to me this morning. I am sure it was because so many times life turns for better or for worse on the basis of forgiveness. I have seen it so many times in my life and in the lives of others.

In one instance I saw two deacons who would not forgive each other. Isn't that a sad commentary on the state of Christianity in our time? Two leaders of a local church, who would not talk about a problem, and they would not seek to forgive each other. It broke my heart.

However, the worst cases for me have been the times that I sought forgiveness from a brother or sister in Christ, and they refused to forgive me. At times I was wrong, and I was seeking forgiveness based on my sin. Other times they had taken offense at something I had done, and I was seeking their forgiveness, so our relationship could be restored. What a tragedy that we could not come back together! I believe it grieves the heart of God.

He has forgiven us so much. Why can't we simply forgive another human being who has done us wrong or whom we think did the wrong thing? It would make the world a much better place. Also, it would enhance our own relationship with God, because if we do not forgive others, He will not be able to forgive us. Therefore, every instance of unforgiveness drives us farther from God.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Mark 14-16.

Popular Posts