Spiritual or Carnal

I was shopping on my Kindle the other evening before going to bed. I found two free books. What a deal! I have loved my Kindle ever since some of my church family gave it to me for Pastor Appreciation Month last year. It is so great to get books at a huge discount and to download them in 60 seconds or less. I have read 12 books on it this year, and I can read them faster, as well. I would recommend it as a wonderful Christmas gift for anyone who loves to read.

One of the free books was a classic by Andrew Murray. I forget the title, but it is about becoming a spiritual Christian. I just could not stop reading until I finished the first chapter. He made a point that I had never considered. He said that any Christian can decide to become a spiritual Christian, instead of a carnal or fleshly Christian at any time. It does not take growth. It takes a commitment to following the Spirit, instead of following the flesh. It is a decision to be filled with the Spirit as much as possible and to reject the flesh. Any believer can do that, and we all should.

We still need to grow in maturity, but being led by the Spirit is not the same as being mature. Once we are led by the Spirit, we will begin to grow, but until we are led by the Spirit, we will not grow. It finally made sense to me why there are so many carnal or immature Christians. They learn a lot, but they do not progress to maturity because they do not give themselves over to following the Spirit as they should.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Titus 2-3 and Philemon.

Popular Posts