My Annual Physical

This morning I went for my annual physical examination. For many people I am sure it is something they try to avoid. However, I look forward to it every year, and I even thank God for it. Let me explain.

Seven years ago I went to my physician's assistant, Coral, to ask her about my sore foot. I had been running, and I had developed a very painful sore on the outside of my foot. I just wanted to get it fixed. That was the purpose of my visit. I hoped it would be easy and quick.

In the course of examining my foot, Coral, asked me when my last physical had been done. I told her truthfully that I had never had a real physical. I had very shallow ones when I played sports in school, but I had not gone through a thorough physical examination as an adult. She urged me and prodded me to go ahead and have one, since I was way past due. Finally, I agreed. So in a short time, I returned to her for my first physical. It was then that I found out my PSA was high, which led to the discovery of my prostate cancer. I was able to have surgery on New Years' Eve of 2003, and now I have been cancer free for seven years. Praise the Lord!

Now, you can see why I am glad to have a physical each year. It was God's way of taking care of my cancer before it could spread. He used my foot and Coral's persistence to get me in for a physical, so He could use Dr. Levinson to remove the cancer. God is so wonderful. I thank Coral for being so persistent and caring, and I thank Dr. Levinson for his skill and compassion. Mostly, I thank God for His providential care over me.

What about you? When was your last physical?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Luke 22-24 and John 1.

Popular Posts