Simple Pleasures

One of my chores for this weekend was to cut the grass. It takes me a couple of hours to get it all done using both the riding mower and the push mower. I only had about an hour to get started yesterday, because of our other chores, but I went ahead and got started. When I cranked the riding mower, it sounded funny, and it did not run well. Even though it was sluggish, I finished most of the front yard. However, as I was finishing the yard, the mower quit on me. It just would not go, and the engine would not keep running. I pushed it into the basement and finished up with the push mower. I really thought the mower had a serious problem.

Then, this afternoon after the grass had time to dry a little, I went to check it out. Jacob and I had already gone looking at new mowers. That is how bad I thought it was. However, the Lord told me to pray about it, and so I did. I asked Him to fix it or to show me what to do. I found one pretty rusty spark plug that I cleaned off, but I could not find anything else wrong. I pushed it out and started it up. It ran as well as ever. I was so amazed and thankful to the Lord. I hurriedly cut the rest of the yard fearing it might mess up at any time. Of course, it didn't. O ye of little faith.

I was about done when I saw Chris and Jacob. I stopped for a minute, and then Jacob climbed on to help me finish the back yard. He had a ball. He loves to drive anything, so he grabbed the wheel with me, so he could help guide the mower. He talked out loud all the way, and he wasn't scared a bit, even though it was his first time to help me. What a joy for God to fix the mower and for Jacob to join me! It was a wonderful ending to what I thought was a bad problem. That is how the Lord works many times, if we just trust Him. Praise the Lord.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 46-48.

Popular Posts