Pleasing People

Ministry is a great challenge for me. I do not just want to deliver the truth in my sermons. I want to connect with people and to show them the love of Jesus, too. It is my aim to be loving to each person I meet, and it is great when they love me back. However, that does not always happen. When they don't like me or the truth I share with them, the devil tempts me to be a people pleaser. It used to be a huge burden on my heart each time that happened, but then, I learned the truth of Galatians 1:10. If I am a people pleaser, I am no longer a bond-servant of Jesus. People become my Lord, instead of Jesus. I never want that to be the case. My desire is to be faithful to Jesus and to speak the truth in love.

Today, I had a situation like this. In fact, there are many days that this challenge arises. Someone wanted me to do what they had in mind. I had to tell them that it was not God's will for me to do that. They were crushed. It was sad for me, because I wanted to be able to minister to them. However, if I had compromised God's will for me, I could not have stood for the truth with them. That is how it is every time.

Therefore, I have learned to be focused on Jesus and not people. I can't please people all the time. My goal is to please Jesus every time. That is possible, but I have to keep my eyes on Him, not people. Then, when I have been true to Him, I can pray that the people will come around to see the truth. If and when they do, they will appreciate that I told them the truth. It is fantastic to see that happen, but it doesn't happen very often, because most people want their own will, instead of God's will.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 38-40.

Popular Posts