An Unhurried Time Verse

This web log or blog which I have been writing for several years now is entitled "My Unhurried Time Notes." It began as a personal comment on my Bible readings for that day during my quiet time with the Lord. I call my quiet time an "unhurried time" because I heard Henry Blackaby use that description, and I thought it was so insightful. Our time with the Lord should not be hurried. It should be an unhurried time which we spend with Him before starting our day. To me, this time is not optional, because how can we say that we depend on the Lord or trust Him, if we don't stop to ask for His directions for the day?

This morning I found a new verse that explains an unhurried time. Psalm 143:8 says, "Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You." What a great explanation of what we should do each day.

First of all, it says "in the morning." The morning is the best time to meet with the Lord, because it is before we begin our activities, and we are fresh. I believe it is easier to hear from the Lord in the morning before the adrenaline kicks in. When we meet with the Lord, He is faithful to meet with us. That is His lovingkindness. It is a word that means "covenant faithfulness." In other words, God is always faithful in His part of our relationship. He is ready to meet with us, to hear our prayers, and to respond to our needs. We need to show Him that we are faithful, too. That is why we meet with Him in the morning. We don't just read our Bible or pray. We meet with Jesus.

Then, the psalmist asks for direction in how to walk. That word walk means to live, so he is asking God to show him what to do that day. That is why we need to meet with Him each morning. We do not just learn truth from His Word and ask Him for things for us and others. We ask Him to reveal to us what He has planned for us. If we do that, and we listen, He will show us. Then, we show our faith by obeying Him. That is what it means by lifting up my soul to God. The soul is our mind, will, and emotions. We need for God to leads us in what to think, what to do, and what to feel. Then, we can really do His will for the day.

I hope each of us will take this verse and the other admonitions in the Bible to meet with the Lord on a daily basis seriously. I pray that you will truly have an unhurried time with Him every day. It will change you, and it will change your life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 144-147.

Popular Posts