A Famine in the Land

Wednesday evening at our prayer meeting we were talking about the events surrounding the Second Coming of Christ and the Millennium. Near the end of the discussion Bob brought up Amos 8:11, which tells us that in the last days there will be a famine of hearing the words of the Lord. I feel confident that we are in such a famine in America now.

This afternoon we went out into our community to give away Bibles and pray for people. Of course, there were a lot of people who were not home. However, of the ones who came to the door all of them had plenty of Bibles, except one young man. I gladly gave him a Bible and invited him to worship the Lord with us. I had to wonder about the rest of the people I met. How often do they read the Word of God? Then, when they do read, do they hear it? Do they apply it to their lives?

It made me think about my verse for the day, Proverbs 1:7. If a person has the fear of the Lord, they will listen to knowledge, but if not, they will despise instruction and wisdom. I am afraid that is the state of affairs we live in today. Many people have a Bible, and they know the Word, but they are not hearing it, because there is a lack of the fear of the Lord.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 2-4.

Popular Posts