Thoughts on Teaching and Learning

Thursdays are busy for me. It is a good busy. I have the privilege of speaking at chapel time for our elementary school students in our North Henry Academy. Most of the time I meet with my On Mission Group partner after chapel. Then, I have a luncheon mentoring time for a fellow pastor, who is relatively new in the ministry. After school, I am involved in our Good New Club at Cotton Indian Elementary School. I don't teach the lesson each week, but I did today. You might say that Thursdays are my teaching day. I love it because I would rather teach the Bible than eat, and I love to eat.

As I look into the faces of the children during these times, I see all kinds of reactions. Some of them act like they are in outer space. Their minds seem to be a thousand miles away. Others are focused on every word. Some leave without saying anything. Others let you know that they are really thinking about what you said. It reminds me each week that God has given me a huge responsibility as well as a privilege. I have to be sensitive to the best way to impact those lives for Him. The same is really true as I preach and teach on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. It is not a job or a task. It is a calling to share the truth of God's Word.

This evening after I got home and checked my email, I found one from Baylor. I don't read all of them from my Alma mater, but this one caught my eye. I opened it to find that one of my best professors had passed away at 88. His name was Professor Reid. Baylor had awarded him the title of "Master Teacher." That is exactly what He was. He did not finish his doctorate, because Baylor called him to teach history as he was completing his degree. The real key was that he did not need a sheet of paper to make him a great teacher. He loved to learn and to impart history in an exciting way to his students. He made a big impression on me in the three classes I had with him. Reading the article about his passing made me nostalgic, and it caused me to consider my teaching and my life. I pray that I make God's Word exciting and stimulating for everyone I have the privilege of teaching, from the youngest child to the oldest adult.

In reality we are all teachers. We teach by what we say and what we do. We need to make sure we present the right message, so people see the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 8-11.

Popular Posts