Acting Like Children

It never ceases to amaze me that grown adults act like children. On top of that they think what they are doing is right. It shows we have a crisis of maturity in our society. We have very few adults who actually stop to think rationally, pray sincerely, and then, communicate clearly with other people. This causes all kinds of problems in our society.

When a husband and a wife disagree about something, is it rational for them to try to hurt one another? I don't think so, myself. The Bible says that they are no longer two independent persons, but one. Therefore, if you hurt your spouse, you are hurting yourself. How have you ever solved a problem by inflicting pain on another adult, unless you just want to live your whole life by intimidation? That to me is very irrational.

When a family has problems, how often do they stop and pray for God's direction and provision? I believe prayer is the last thing people do in many cases, when it should be the first thing. I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that there are many couples who have never prayed together in private and many families which never pray together. How can that be pleasing to God or effective. It is totally immature spiritually.

Finally, why is it so hard to talk about things without getting angry? Why do adults have to be so controlling? Why does everyone think that to be happy they have to get their way every time? Maybe the answer is that they are not praying and seeking God's will, so they are selfishly wanting their own way. Whatever the reason, it amounts to immaturity.

We need to realize that God's desire is for us to mature in Him. We are to become adults who can think, pray, and communicate with love and compassion in our hearts for each other. What a difference that would make in our world today. I pray that we all would ask the Lord to grow us to become mature Christian adults.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 2-4.

Popular Posts