Being a Slave

The other morning I read psalms 123:2 in my unhurried time. I did not remember it from my previous readings, but the Lord really spoke to me through it. I have not been able to get it off of my mind. I love the way the Lord speaks to us through His Word like that.

This verse refers to us as believers looking to the hand of our Master like a slave looks to his or her master for grace. As slaves we are totally dependent on the Lord, and we are to look to Him for our direction. Then, when He is pleased with us, He blesses us by His grace in His own way. What a picture for us to consider! Have you ever thought of yourself as a slave of Jesus? Even if the idea of slavery is repugnant to you, it is a good analogy for our relationship with Him. He is the Master, and we are His servants. It is only by His grace that He raises us to the level of being His friends. Therefore, we need to operate as humble slaves out of respect for our awesome Lord.

The reality of being a slave is that we are all slaves of something or someone. We can decide to be a slave of our own flesh, our own desires. We can be a slave of another person or an idol. However, when we become a slave of Jesus, He sets us free to be the best we can be, if we will remain a loyal servant of His. Yes, I know it is a paradox, but it is true. The only way to be truly free is to be a slave of Jesus.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 129-131 and I Corinthians 11:1-16.

Popular Posts