An Animal Walk

I try to take my dog, Midnight, for a walk every evening, She really misses it, if I can't take her. When Jeff, Lori, Kade, and Avenly arrived from Japan, I started taking Kade with me on those walks with Midnight some evenings. Most of the time I take her out in the woods first. That way she can run loose and not have any danger of being hit by a car. Also, she can hunt around for any wildlife back there.

The first time I took Kade with us, I told him that if we were quiet we might see some animals on our walk. Ever since he has called it our "animal walk." It is hard to keep him quiet and he often runs noisily alongside of Midnight, so we don't see a lot of animals. Nevertheless, he is always asking me, "Where are the animals, Grandad?" I have to tell him that we don't always see them.

Tonight, we went a bit later, so I thought we might see something. Sure enough, we jumped a rabbit that jumped off in front of Midnight with it's cotton tail bobbing up and down as it ran into the brush. Then, we went down to a hidden pasture. As we rounded the corner, I could see one doe in the distance. I stopped and told Kade that he needed to be quiet, and I would carry him a few steps so we could see the deer. She slowly raised her head and recognized us. Then, she ran off with a big jump or two. Kade was excited about how high she could jump. He wanted to get closer, but I told Him that is was hard to get close to deer because of their keen eyes and their sense of smell. We made our way back home after a successful animal walk.

It is great to see the world through the eyes of a child, and it is even better when it is your child or grandchild.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 20 -22 and Acts 21:1-17.

Popular Posts