Fulfilling the Great Commission

This morning I was privileged to baptize a man named Eddie Barbeau. It is always a thrill to see someone come to know Christ and to follow Him in believers' baptism. However, this one was more special to me.

I have been sharing my heart with our church family for the past 2+ years that we need to see ourselves as missionaries to our community and our world. It takes a while for this to sink in, because most Christians have fallen into a lifestyle of comfort that does not include engaging the people around them with the gospel. What should be our purpose for living is abandoned for the comforts of life. I know there are other reasons, but to me that seems to be the most prevalent one right now in the USA.

Eddie came to know the Lord, because two of our members cared for him, and they spent the time it took to engage him in the gospel message. Eddie had known for a long time that he needed Christ, but it was not until he met Don Wells and Chris Ward that the process was completed. I praise God for these two men. They prayed and shared until Eddie came to confess Christ as his Lord and Savior on February 1,2009.

That is what made today's baptism so sweet. It was two believers fulfilling the Great Commission. It was a great example of what all of us need to be doing. I pray that I will be able to report the same thing happening numerous times during the rest of this year. I pray that God will raise up more and more missionaries to Stockbridge and the world this year.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Judges 9-10 and Luke 5:17-39.

Popular Posts