Talking with My Friend

This morning I got up a little earlier than I might have just to spend more time talking to Jesus. You see, I was conducting the memorial service for Jean Gray, and I wanted to make sure I knew what He wanted me to say. I have asked Him that question many times, and I do not recall a time that He has failed to answer me clearly, especially for a funeral service. Today was no different. He showed me Scripture after Scripture, and he brought to mind the personal accounts I needed to share.

I delivered His message as clearly as I possibly could. In fact, it was even more clear than usual, since He led me to use John 3 as one of the passages. I know Jean would want me to be direct in sharing the truth, just like she was direct with people. As I was going through the line for the family meal afterwards, a younger man who was a friend of the family reached out to shake my hand. He commended me in a way for the service. Then, he shared with me and those around that he had become an atheist after being raised Pentecostal. I am not good thinking on my feet when something like that is said. I simply told him that I would pray for him. His response was, "Oh, don't do that." I think one reason that I was so taken back by what he said was that I know there is a God. I had just spoken to Him a few hours earlier, and He is with me all of the time. All I could do was wonder what had happened in his life to turn Him from God. I will pray for him, and I hope you will join me. I know Jesus can speak to his heart, too.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Isaiah 53-55 and II Thessalonians 1.

Popular Posts