Spiritual Maturity

I can remember thinking when I was a teenager that I was more spiritually mature than most people my age. That may have been true, but that was not the question. The question I should have been answering was, "Am I as mature as the Lord wants me to be at this time in my life?" I am afraid that I would have to answer no to that question for most of my life.

Everyone has his or her weaknesses, but that is not really immaturity. The marks of being spiritually mature have more to do with doing the right thing at the right time. It has a lot to do with asking for forgiveness and seeking reconciliation. Maturity is seen when there are strong convictions that are not compromised. I believe that maturity is really seen in not getting too angry or too high, but in keeping an even keel through the trials and the triumphs of life. Spiritual maturity is a steady consistency in doing what the Lord has told us to do whether it is convenient or enjoyable or not. I can see that I have made progress in those things, but I still need to be more mature to serve the Lord to the best of my ability.

So what is the key? Spiritual maturity comes from cooperating with God. He will not force us to mature. We have to say yes to His efforts to lead us to maturity, and we have to avail ourselves of His grace that enables us to grow to that maturity. If we don't cooperate with God, we can go to church every week and still remain immature all of our lives. I believe that is one of the worst things that can be said about a Christian, because it is God's will for us to be mature. Therefore, to fail at that is to miss His will.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Chronicles 21-22 and John 14.

Popular Posts