The Sabbath

I am still trying to read some of those books which look at church from a different perspective. I am learning some valuable things, but I am seeing some frustrating concepts, too. A statement was made by one author that the Bible did not say anything much about setting aside Sunday or any other day for worship with a group of believers. I could have understood him saying that the Bible doesn't say that much about what to do in a worship service, but I was rather perplexed that his statement went as far as it did. I immediately got out a notebook and a Bible, so I could begin a list of specific references to a day of worship and what was done on that day. It wasn't long before I had 8 things listed. The top of the list was the commandment to honor the Sabbath and to keep it holy. I believe that most scholars take that to be a timeless truth, principle, and command. The church switched from worshiping on the last day of the week to the first day, but it was a regular practice, because of God's command. How does someone miss that? I think it is a bias against the church. I know that the church isn't perfect. It is very weak and anemic compared to what the Lord designed it to be, but we must not just throw it out based on a bad experience. To forget the Sabbath is going way too far in my opinion. I hope we will move forward and win the world to Christ through a great church planting movement. However, we don't have to totally change God's design to do that. We need to remember the timeless commands like the Sabbath in the process.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 22-24 and Luke 12:1-31.

Popular Posts