A Mother's Love

Today, I had one of the most difficult assignments that I ever have to face. I was asked by one of our church families to do a graveside service for their daughter who had died suddenly. What can be said to bring comfort and assurance of God's grace at a time like that? I try to approach those situations like Paul said in I Corinthians 2:1-5. It is not a time for clever human words. It is a time to come with words of the Holy Spirit and the power of God. I do not ever want anyone to see me, but to see Jesus, and Him crucified. God always gives that grace when we need it, and He is so good to lead me to the Word of God for the right message. To Him be all the praise!

However, I am sure that I will never know the love of a mother, nor the grief she feels when she has to say good-bye to her child. There is just something different about the quality of a mother's love. There is such a physical connection, and an emotional connection. The time invested with that little one burns a soft place deep into her heart like nothing else. I am sure a father's love is just as strong, but it is different. God knew we all needed the love of a mother, and also a father. Since God made mothers that way, and He knows exactly what they are feeling in their times of pain and grief, He is the only one who can fully comfort and bind up those wounds. Another mother can come alongside and help, but the Spirit is the balm of Gilead. I pray for every mother who has ever lost a child to death, no matter the age of the child, that God would heap His love on them and bring them peace.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 17-18 and Luke 11:1-28.

Popular Posts