The Breakdown of the Family in America

The first social issue that confronted me when I started in the ministry as a Youth and Music Director at Downsville Baptist Church outside of Waco, Texas was the breakdown of the family. I was sitting across from 4 or 5 students, and I asked them to tell me about their families. I quickly found out that I had made a mistake. With sad faces two of the girls told me that their mom was doing fine, but they had not seen their father in a long time. That was 33 years ago. At Smith Bend Baptist Church, another small church in rural Texas, Chris had a young child ask for prayer because she had to decide whether to spend time with her father or her mother in the summer. Things have continued to decline since then. Today, most families are broken and bruised, and we can see the effects all around us.

At Good News Club after school we often get prayer requests for parents who are fighting. Single parents come to me and ask me to speak to their children, because they seem to be out of control. There is so much screaming and complaining. I am sure that it makes life very difficult. However, it is all the result of forgetting about God and trying to live life without Him. The result is divorce and divided families. This is not a political issue or even a social issue, really. It is a spiritual issue. It is the result of sin.

My parents have been married 55 years as of February 1, 2008. They did an outstanding job of raising me and my sister. Even with all of their love and discipline, it was a gigantic task to produce two mature adults. Even with their hard work and financial stability, life was a challenge. God's grace was sufficient, but it did not make it easy. We have got to help our country see that the breakdown of the family is the cause of most of our troubles in America. We have got to get back to God's way, which is healthy families. If we don't there is no telling what will happen to our society.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 39-40 and Matthew 23:23-39.

Popular Posts