Spending Time With Jesus

There is nothing that brings me more comfort, peace, and energy than spending time with Jesus. My life has changed radically over the years, because the longer I have lived the more I have realized the benefits of having a consistent time with Him each day and even setting aside special times to spend with Him. I used to come home very weary and plop down in front of the TV, because I needed to unwind and relax. It took me a while to find out that I did not really relax that way, I simply put my mind on other things. Those other things were generally not very helpful or comforting. When I started spending more time with Jesus, I found that comfort I needed all along. He is the God of all comfort. Why would we look anywhere else?

I enjoy watching a good football game or baseball game, too. It takes 3 hours or so. It provides some excitement and some frustration, usually. At the end of the game I may be pumped up, or I may be deflated. The truth is that I have spent a long period of time thinking about something that is not that important in the grand scheme of things. When I spend the same amount of time with Jesus, I get a lot more joy, and He shows me some things that really matter. I do not come away frustrated, but fulfilled.

I think we all need to consider how we go about trying to meet our needs. Are we looking for the relaxation, comfort, and peace we need in the wrong places? I think many times we are doing just that. There is nothing wrong with exercising. I love to exercise. There is nothing wrong with watching sports and playing sports. I love that, too. However, I have had to come to ask myself what do these things and other activities profit me? I have had to come to ask myself if I would benefit more by spending more time with Jesus? The answer is yes, and I would recommend it to you, too.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 16-17 and Matthew 5:27-48.

Popular Posts