Changing and Staying the Same

I have always enjoyed New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. I like the excitement of a new year, and I like to watch football. I can't remember a time when I did not stay up to see the New Year in since I was a child. Even as a teenager, it was a time of reflection for me. I was never a party person. It was all about looking back on my life during the previous year, and looking ahead to the next 365 days. It was a time to consider how to live a better life for the next year.

This year is no different. Therefore, I have decided to change some things in an effort to be a more effective disciple and missionary this year. I do not fear change or hate change. I embrace change as a way of improving my life. Here are a few of the things I am going to change:

1. I am going to modify my "unhurried time" with the Lord, so that there is more time for prayer and reflection on what I should do each day and less emphasis on reading through the Bible. To do this I am going to read through the Bible in the evenings, and leave the mornings for specific prayer and study. This way I can focus on people and relationships instead of learning.

2. I am going to make every effort to allow God to order my schedule for the day, instead of allowing things that come up to disrupt my focus.

3. Instead of just crashing in the evenings, I am going to use Bible CD's to help me read through the Bible. At that time, I will try to let the Holy Spirit show me how I did during the day. I believe by hearing the Word and reading it, too, I will see some things I would miss by just reading it.

However, the Lord showed me the main thing this morning as I read Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God Day by Day devotional. I must remember that it is all about loving the Lord with all my heart and not allowing my love to grow cold. If I love Him as I should, I will keep His commandments and stay on His agenda. In short, if I can focus on my love for Him, everything else will fall into place. I believe that will encourage me to rejoice in the Lord more, too. If I can be full of love and joy for 2008, I know it will be a great year. I don't want to let anything ever change my love for the Lord, except to make it more intimate than ever. That's why I am changing some things, and yet staying the same in my focus on the Lord.

I would encourage all of us to do the same type of reflection and to make whatever changes that will enable us to have a great 2008. Mainly, do whatever it takes to love the Lord with all of your heart.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 4-6 and Matthew 2.

Popular Posts