God Weeping Over Us
My eyes tend to leak quite a bit. I usually don't just break down and bawl, but that does happen on certain occasions. Most of the time it is because I am sad about something. However, I do cry tears of joy, too. Some people don't think it is very masculine to cry, but I don't think it is bad at all. In fact, I think it is good because we know that our Father weeps over us sometimes. He has a tender heart and so should we, whether we are men or women.
God just came right out and gave Jeremiah a command and the exact words to say for His people then and now. (Jeremiah 14:17) "Now, Jeremiah, say this to them: "Night and day My eyes overflow with tears. I cannot stop weeping for My virgin daughter - My precious people - has been struck down and lies mortally wounded." In this quote God shows us His heart for His people. He doesn't ever change, so I am sure He is still weeping today many times when He sees the harm we have brought on ourselves.
We might be tempted to think why was God weeping when He was the One who had His people struck down by their enemies and mortally wounded them? If it hurt Him so badly, why didn't He just let them off the hook and not punish them? Please, remember that God always does the loving thing in every circumstance. It is never loving to excuse sin. If He were to do that, He would be causing us harm and leading us to sin more. A holy, loving God can never do that.
However, He still grieves over our sins. He still weeps when He sees us destroying ourselves by not listening to Him. It especially hurts Him when He has to spank us severely. It doesn't bring Him pleasure. It bring Him grief, and His tears start flowing and won't stop. I pray that we would not do that to God. I pray we would love Him and never want to cause Him to weep night and day. Maybe that thought will be what inspires us to obey the Lord and to bring Him joy, instead of causing Him this anguish.
#NHBaptistdotorg
Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 15-17.