A Fire in My Bones
I was called to preach the Word of God when I was 17 years old. It was a definite call that came as I was riding down Midway Road in Decatur with Jim Lingerfelt driving. God spoke to my heart in a very clear voice, "I want you to tell people about Jesus and that will help them forever." It wasn't an audible voice. It was louder than that. So I told my parents and my pastor what God had said and started preparing to be a preacher. I have been speaking the Word of God ever since.
Jeremiah was called by God to be His prophet even before he was born. He had a definite call, and he fulfilled that call. However, he went through all kinds of opposition to the messages God gave him, and he wanted to stop at times. (Jeremiah 20:9) "But if I say I'll never mention the Lord or speak in His name, His Word burns in my heart like a fire. It's like a fire in my bones. I am worn out trying to hold it in. I can't do it." I can very much relate to what Jeremiah was saying here.
I believe that all Christians should study God's Word and be ready to share it with others, especially those who don't know Christ. I believe we should all have an urgency about ministering the Word of God. However, when a person is called to preach, it raises it to a new level. Preaching is not a chore. It is a joy. I would rather preach and teach the Word of God than to eat. If I go very long without teaching, His Word burns in my bones, so I have to share it with someone. I suppose that is partly why I do these blog posts.
During the years I have had all kinds of opposition to the messages I have preached and the things I have taught. I won't go into the stories, but just suffice it to say that those episodes were very painful for me, and even for my family at times. I was never tempted to quit like Jeremiah, but there was the temptation to compromise so people would not be so upset. I am glad I did not do that. I couldn't do that like Jeremiah said. I had to let the fire out or it would have burned me up. That is how important it is to speak forth God's Word no matter what people say or do.
#NHBaptistdotorg
Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 21-23.