Numbering Our Days

When we are young, the days seem to pass by slowly. We long for Christmas to roll around, and it seems like it never comes. I remember when I was about to enter 8th grade, which was the beginning of High School for me. We all went to Avondale High School for orientation. They had a huge banner up front that said "Class of 1973." In my mind I thought that would never come, since it was so far away. Now, next April we will have the 50 year reunion of the our graduating class. Time has passed so quickly, like the Bible says. As of today, I have lived 24,532 days. If I live to be 80 years old, I will live 4,688 more days. I can see now why the psalmist asked the Lord to teach us to number our days. (Psalm 90:12) When we number them, taking each day very seriously, and realizing we can't get any of them back, it leads us to develop hearts of wisdom. We see that we have to ask the Lord to give us wisdom to live for Him well each day.

A day is 24 hours for every person on the planet. We have to have a certain amount of sleep. We have to eat, and we have to take care of ourselves and our family, if we have one. The rest of the time is at our discretion. We choose how to spend our time. We can waste it or use it to serve the Lord and others. The Bible makes it clear in I Corinthians 3 that if we do temporal things, they will be burned up in the Judgment, so we will see no lasting fruit. However, if we spend our days doing things that have eternal fruit, those works will endure, and we will receive the reward for our labor. That is why we must number our days, and learn to live wisely. We don't want to live our life and see everything we have done burned up. Instead, we want to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 91-93.

Popular Posts