Delight Yourself in the Lord

What we take delight in shows what is most important in our life. The really vital things cause us to be joyful, even when we are just thinking about them. Then, when we get to do them, there is even more rejoicing. If we delight in another person, we love to think about them, but we love being with them, even more. The question is, "Why do we take delight in that person or that thing?" Is our desire selfish, or do we really take delight out of love? God is looking for us to take delight in Him out of our love for Him. (Psalm 37:4-5) Then, it will bring so much satisfaction to Him, He will give us the desires of our heart. He will do that because He knows our heart is right in line with Him and His will, and we are committing our ways to Him, trusting Him, not ourselves. When that is true, He will do it, no doubt. Have you ever experienced this wonderful truth?

Back in 1983 I was at Youth Camp in Texas. The Lord had shown me that He had something new for me, but I was not sure what it was yet. At the same time, my home church needed a new pastor. Chris and I were praying about God's will. However, we were afraid that we were being selfish to be back home and  close to family. That morning the leader of the camp asked people to share Bible verses that were meaningful to them. A fellow pastor on the other side of the tabernacle shared Psalm 37:4. It was God speaking directly to my heart. He told me that we were not being selfish, but we wanted to do His will, so He was giving us the desire of our hearts. Of course, I became pastor of my home church, God blessed the church, and we were able to help our families in some significant ways, too. That is just one example from my life. There were many times God knew I had committed myself to His way; I was trusting in Him, and He did it. Praise the Lord for being such a loving God who truly cares for us and does the best for us when we trust Him.

#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalm 40-42.    

Popular Posts