Hearing God's Voice

God is able to communicate with us very clearly. If we do not hear from God, somehow we are at fault. It is not His inability to speak to us. He speaks to us by His Spirit through the Bible, prayer, other believers, and our circumstances. Sometimes, His voice comes very clearly so that we can quote what God said to us for others, like it came to Samuel when he saw Saul. (I Samuel 9:17) We all need to be tuned into His voice like Samuel.

When has God spoken so distinctly to you that you could quote Him word for word? I remember riding down Midway Road in Decatur with Jim Lingerfelt when I was 17 years old talking about what we were going to do after graduation from High School. I told him I had thought about being a teacher and even a lawyer, because teachers really helped people, but lawyers might be even more helpful to people in bad situations. At that moment God's voice came to me, and He said, "I want you to be a preacher and tell people about Jesus, because that will help them forever." There was no doubt in my mind then, and there is no doubt in my mind now that God spoke to me. I have seen Him fulfill that calling over the last 40+ years. Have you ever had anything like that happen to you?

I praise God for being concerned for our lives because of His great love. I thank Him for being the personal God who communicates with people. I pray that we will listen and obey when He speaks to us, so we can receive the blessing of being in the center of His will.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 10-13.

Popular Posts