God's Name

Moses was the first person to know God's eternal name.(Exodus 3:13,14) What an honor that was for Moses. Think about it. Up until the time of Moses and the burning bush experience at Mount Sinai, God had been known by general words for God or by titles. However, when Moses asked Him for His name, God gave it to him. God was introducing Himself to Moses in a very personal and specific way. We would do well to consider this event.

God's name reveals His character. He told Moses that His name is "I AM THAT I AM." Moses could simply tell the people in Egypt that "I AM" had sent him to deliver the Hebrews from bondage. This name tells us so much about God. God is always there. God is the right thing for us at any time. He is never early or late. In fact, He is whatever He needs to be, since He is All-Powerful, All-Knowing, and All-Wise. He is never limited in any way. God is, and that is all that anyone needs to know.

When God gave Moses His name, He was introducing Himself to him. A bond began to be formed as God reached out to reveal His name. He did not do it lightly. He wanted a close, first name relationship with Moses to begin. I was out in a crowd of people this evening. I was privileged to meet several people and to introduce myself to them. I simply said, "I am Stan." In each case it was not a formality for me. I would love to know them and relate to them. That is why we should give our names to people, just like God did to Moses.

What an honor to know the Great I AM. I pray that we will never take His name in vain, but we will draw near to Him and talk with Him often, because He is all we need.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 4-7

Popular Posts