Christopher Hitchens

The other day I read the obituary of Christopher Hitchens, a well-known unbeliever, who wrote a book entitled, God Is Not Good. Since then I read one column by a political commentator on Mr. Hitchens and some of the reviews for his book on Amazon. I have not read his books or articles myself. I was just aware of his disdain for "religion" and God.

The reason I took time to read these things about Christopher Hitchens is that when I saw that he had died I was touched with sadness in my heart. It grieved me to think of his eternal destiny with no further chance of salvation.(Ezekiel 33:11) Even though the commentary I read said that he was a fun person to be around, who was respectful of those who were believers, he had made it very clear that he wanted nothing to do with God. When any person makes that decision, God respects it.

I suppose some people might be happy that he is dead. They think it is better for him to not be able to write and speak against God and Christianity any more. I do not think God thinks that way. He wants every unbeliever to repent and come to faith in Christ. God knows that salvation is not believing what people say. If I or Christopher Hitchens can talk someone into believing something or doing something, then, someone else can come along and talk them out of it. However, if a person truly meets God and begins an intimate love relationship with Him that is real and personal, no one can talk him out of that.

I guess I would agree with Christopher Hitchens on at least one thing. Religion is a terrible plague on humanity. If anyone trusts in a religion, he will be misled and have a false sense of security. That is why so many bad things have been done by religious people or in the name of religion. Those things are not done by the true believers who are truly Christians, "little Christs." None of us are perfect, but when we know Him, we are changed to be like our Lord and Savior, so all the world can see Him in us.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Peter 4-5 and II Peter 1.

Popular Posts