50 Years Ago

Today is an anniversary for me. No, it is not our wedding anniversary. That was on August 18. This is the anniversary of when I started to first grade 50 years ago. It may not have been September 6, but it was the day after Labor Day in 1961. I began my seven years of elementary school at Midway Elementary School in Decatur, Georgia. Since I did not attend kindergarten, that was my first day of any kind of school. I was in Mrs. Bangs' class, and as far as I remember, I did just fine.

The other remarkable thing about this day is that it was Labor Day weekend of 1961 that my parents moved into their new house. They are still living in the same house today. Isn't that amazing? I have had such a life of stability and consistency on the part of my parents. They have been a great example of being content, and being good stewards of all God has given them. I am sure that there are other people who could give this testimony, but I don't know very many, if any. They loved me, provided for me, took me to church, and helped me every step of the way.

In a world of so many changes and so much fluctuation it is great to see steady, consistent Christian people. It is a godly characteristic, and it gives the family a solid foundation for life. We would all do well to consider this anniversary for me and for my family, and to think of how we can all provide more stability and consistency for our children and families.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 17-19.

Popular Posts