The Call to the Ministry

This morning we had a special announcement in our worship time. Kyle Denton came forward to ask the church family to pray for him, because he has felt God calling him to the youth ministry. It is such a blessing for me to see such a sincere young man deciding to tell the church about his call. I know the Lord is going to continue to use Kyle. I know He will guide him into His service just like He has done for so many of us through the years.

In fact, this fall will be 40 years since the Lord called me into the ministry. It was not an audible voice. It was louder than that. Jimmy Lingerfelt and I were driving down Midway Road in Decatur talking about what we would do when we graduated. I remember telling him that I had thought about being a teacher, so I could help people or a lawyer, so I could really help folks out of terrible problems. Just then, the Lord said to me, "I want you to be a preacher and tell people about Jesus, so you can help them for eternity." It was very clear, and I did not fight with Him about it. I told my parents and my church. Then, I sought a college to get the right education. The rest is history. After two and a half years as a youth and music director, I became a pastor in August of 1976. I guess this year will be 35 years of being a pastor. It has been a great challenge, but I could not do anything else and be happy, because I know it is God's will for me.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 27-29.

Popular Posts