I'll Be Home For Christmas

I am sure that most of you are familiar with the song, "I'll Be Home For Christmas." It is one of my favorite Christmas songs. I can remember singing along with it on the car radio as we drove back to Georgia from Texas all night, so the kids would sleep most of the trip. I moved to Texas in 1973 to attend Baylor, and then Chris and I were married in 1974. We lived in Central Texas until 1983. Then, we moved back to Decatur, GA. However, we moved back to Texas in 1992, and we lived near Houston until 2001. Even with all of those 18 years away from my parents here in Atlanta, we were blessed to be able to come home each year. That is a special blessing from the Lord.

This year we have a very special blessing. We will have our whole family together for the first time in several years. Dixie doesn't have to work on Christmas Day this year either. It will be so wonderful to be able to spend Christmas with the family, and to know that everyone will be celebrating the birth of our Savior with us. Christian unity is a great blessing all year long and especially on holidays.

However, my heart has been touched by the men I have been visiting at the jails this year. One of them "might" get out on parole before Christmas, but the other two will probably spend Christmas in jail. I guess since my family is so special to me, it makes me sad for them to miss that blessing. I would encourage all of us to reach out to folks who don't know Christ this Christmas, and to be mindful of those who are separated from family and having other difficulties. In the spirit of Christ we can show them the love of Jesus, and that can make their Christmas more bright.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Hosea 9-11 and Revelation 3.

Popular Posts