A Significant Restoration

It is not often that I can say that something happened in my ministry that has never happened before. Over the last 35 years I have seen a lot. Most of the time when I make that statement it has to do with something terrible that has happened, and it is worse than anything that I have ever seen before. I am so happy to report that this significant event was a wonderful blessing and answer to prayer.

When I was going to seminary, I became convinced that church discipline carried out according to God's Word is God's will for the church. In the last 35 years I have been involved in several cases of church discipline, and in each case I felt like it was done in love for the purpose of restoration just like the Bible says. However, until today I have not seen a person who has been "put out of the church" for blatant public sin come back in repentance to be restored to membership in that church. I have known of individuals who did go to other churches after being disciplined, though. That is what makes today so special.

I commend the members of North Henry Baptist Church for praying for this man and loving him, even when he was not willing to listen to the Lord and His Word. I am glad they did not give up on him, and I am so pleased that they are so willing to receive him back into fellowship. It is a great tribute to the spiritual nature of our church at this point.

No one I know likes church discipline. I don't even think God likes it. However, He commanded it, because it is the only way to treat sin seriously, to stop the spread of sin in the church, and to make restoration possible. It is a bitter pill to swallow, but it is very sweet when the cure comes. We experienced that today. I pray that we will see it happen in the lives of others who are in this same situation. It proves the Holy Spirit is alive and well and active in chastening the ones whom God loves. It also proves the power of love to forgive. What a blessing!

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Samuel 9-11 and Luke 15:11-32.

Popular Posts